Street Dance Classes - Level 1 - Beginners
From the gritty freestyle urban dance that originated on the streets, to commercial street dance that combines many styles from modern dance to jazz dance, anything goes with Street Dance as long as it looks and feels good!
Madonna, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake are just a few of the artists who use this exciting and pioneering dance form to express their music. Our Street Dance Beginners course offers a practical introduction to street dance, combining a series of basic moves to create a wow-worthy routine. You’ll also get the chance to choreograph your own routines.
Street Dance Styles
Commercial Street Dance is what you will see danced by backing dancers for artists like Britney Spears, and on programmes such as X Factor. This style of Street Dance is fused with Jazz dance and is based around technique – you’ll usually expect a faster and more technical style than Urban Street Dance.
Urban Street Dance styles come with attitude. With a more relaxed feel than Commercial Street Dance, Urban Street Dance is a story told through movement, and is danced to music such as Beyoncé and Chris Brown. You’ll find more isolations and smooth moves in Urban Street Dance.
Street Dance Beginners Skills Development
The Street Dance Beginners course is perfect for those with little or no dance experience. We make sure that you learn the basic urban moves, while also boosting your confidence and having a good time! Street dance is a great workout too, so you'll soon be fighting fit.
Exact content may differ depending on course duration and your needs, but topics generally covered include:
- Learn about posture and position in dance
- Lose inhibitions and gain confidence
- Develop greater balance, flexibility and strength
- Learn co-ordination and footwork: such as basic corner to corner work, steps, turns and kicks
- Learn to dance and perform routines: as a duet, trio or group
You'll receive friendly feedback throughout the course.
Something to Think About
- As with all dance classes there are a few things that you may need to consider:
- Footwear: Recommended are trainers, jazz boots or jazz shoes (specialised stockists such as Gamba Freed and Dancia have outlets in and around London and can provide appropriate footwear).
- Clothing: Comfortable clothing such as leggings, jazz pants, tight tracksuit bottoms, shorts, crop tops, t-shirts are recommended.
- It's hot work, so bring a bottle of water.
Street Dance - Beginners - Course Progression
We recommend that you take the beginners course twice before moving on, to guarantee that you feel confident. After that you might be interested in:
We offer a 10% discount if you book 2 or more different courses at the same time. To take advantage of this offer, enter the code 2ORMORE when you check out online.