Have you ever had an idea for a great new musical, but don’t know how to start writing the epic opening number? Our How to Write a Musical Course - Songs & Music two day introductory musical theatre course teaches you how to craft and ultimately write your own musical theatre songs.
Taught by award-winning West End Composer Jordan Paul Clarke, this two day introductory song writing for musical theatre course teaches you how to approach writing songs fit for the stage. By introducing methods to understand how to craft music that tells us a story through melodies, accompaniments and vamps, chords, structures, rhymes, rhythms and more - You will collaborate to create a brand new, original musical theatre song by the end of the course.
How to write a musical course content
In this course, you will:
- Learn how music affects a musical, and the emotions it evokes.
- Explore the various musical genres, and how and why they work.
- Begin to find a musical tone for your ideas, and learn how to start bringing them to life.
- Develop an understanding of how to structure songs for the stage.
- Explore the work of composers such as Alan Menken (Disney), Stephen Sondheim (Sweeney Todd), Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton), Pasek and Paul (Dear Evan Hansen) and more.
- Understand the role of music and musicians in a musical.
- Develop a new set of skills for listening to music when you watch musicals.
- Collaborate on an original musical theatre song.
You should bring
A notebook, pens, pencils, water (and your laptop if you like)