Have a story you want to tell, but don’t know where to start? Interested in writing a musical? Then this is the course for you!
This two day introductory course teaches you how to craft and ultimately write your own musical. We'll breakdown successful musicals - both the classics and more contemporary hits like Six and Hamilton to understand how and why they work.
We'll explore form, structure, character, narrative arc with a focus on generating narratives, building characters, and writing script and lyrics. Song creation and placement will be looked at, but you don’t need to be able to play an instrument or read music to take part.
Using this knowledge, you will develop an original story and begin to write a brand new musical, complete with scenes, song ideas/structure and the all important 'pitching document’ needed to take your show to the stage.
This course will give you all the tools you need to complete your musical, and set the West End ablaze!
No experience in performance or writing is required and this course is for all levels of ability.
In this course, you will:
1. Learn how to structure, outline and shape a musical
2. Explore the various styles of musical theatre and how and why they work.
3. Understand and musical language of your show and how to create it
4. Develop story building skills through imaginative working.
5. Create a pitching document to get your show noticed by producers and learn how to sell your show
6. Develop interesting fully formed characters
7. Learn how to write scenes and lyrics in the same voice.
8. Have the confidence, tools and motivation to continue developing your show.
A notebook, pens, pencils, water (and your laptop if you like)
All City Academy tutors are experienced professionals from theatre, film/TV and performance industries. So whilst they're training you they may also be rehearsing for a West End show or working on a movie. We like that and we do believe it makes a difference in class.